One of the best channels for promoting brands, products and businesses is Internet advertising and it has evolved into one of the most explored new mediums available today.
The popularity of the Internet as a new media channel has exploded in recent years, attributed mostly to faster, more reliable and more affordable broadband connections. More and more advertisers are shifting from traditional advertising channels and going online in order to maximize audience exposure and capture a bigger share of this growing market.
In economies such as Nigeria which are not regulated or dominated by monopolies, the market is open to fierce competition among several players who would use all the latest advertising tools available and have whatever advantage they can get over their competitors. However, conventional tri-media advertising channels are expensive and affordable only to large corporations.
Internet advertising provides a versatile, effective and more affordable advertising medium that many businesses in Nigeria can utilize.
In the Nigerian landscape, marketers and their clients are becoming aware of the need and underlying effects of online marketing, the trend has started to build where agencies ignorantly advise clients to use banner ads and display ads for campaign on facebook, yahoo, local news and entertainment sites, as opposed to looking critically at what the clients want to achieve and advising them on all the various digital marketing platforms available and what each of them can achieve and how to use them.
Online advertising is a form of promotion that uses the Internet and World Wide Web to deliver marketing messages to attract customers.
Various types of Advertising
Large majority of online advertising has a cost that is brought about by usage or interaction of an ad,
- Floating ad: An ad which moves across the user’s screen or floats above the content.
- Expanding ad: An ad which changes size and which may alter the contents of the webpage.
- Polite ad: A method by which a large ad will be downloaded in smaller pieces to minimize the disruption of the content being viewed
- Wallpaper ad: An ad which changes the background of the page being viewed.
- Trick banner: A banner ad that looks like a dialog box with buttons. It simulates an error message or an alert.
- Pop-up: A new window which opens in front of the current one, displaying an advertisement, or entire webpage.
- Pop-under: Similar to a Pop-Up except that the window is loaded or sent behind the current window so that the user does not see it until they close one or more active windows.
- Video ad: similar to a banner ad, except that instead of a static or animated image, actual moving video clips are displayed. This is the kind of advertising most prominent in television, and many advertisers will use the same clips for both television and online advertising.
- Map ad: text or graphics linked from, and appearing in or over, a location on an electronic map such as on Google Maps.
- Mobile ad: an SMS text or multi-media message sent to a cell phone.
- Interstitial ad: a full-page ad that appears before a user reaches their original destination.
Legitimate Email advertising or E-mail marketing is often known as “opt-in e-mail advertising” or permission marketing to distinguish it from spam.
Display advertising appears on web pages in many forms, including web banners. These banners can consist of static or animated images, as well as interactive media that may include audio and video elements. Display advertising on the Internet is widely used for branding. This is why metrics like interaction time are becoming more relevant. Display advertisers use cookie and browser history to determine demographics and interests of users and target appropriate ads to those browsers. Banner ad standards have changed over the years to larger sizes, in part due to increased resolution of standard monitors and browsers, in part to provide advertisers with more impact for their investment. The standards continue to evolve. Banner ads can be targeted to internet users in many different ways in order to reach the advertiser’s most relevant audience. Behavioral retargeting, demographic targeting, geographic targeting, and site based targeting are all common ways in which advertisers choose to target their banner ads.
Affiliate marketing is a form of online advertising where advertisers place campaigns with a potentially large number of small (and large) publishers, who are only paid media fees when traffic to the advertiser is garnered, and usually upon a specific measurable campaign result (a form, a sale, a sign-up, etc.).
In addition to contextual targeting, online advertising can be targeted based on a user’s online behavior. This practice is known as behavioral targeting. For example, if a user is known to have recently visited a number of automotive shopping / comparison sites based on clickstream analysis enabled by cookies stored on the user’s computer, that user can then be served auto-related ads when they visit other, non-automotive sites.
Semantic advertising applies semantic analysis techniques to web pages. The process is meant to accurately interpret and classify the meaning and/or main subject of the page and then populate it with targeted advertising spots. By closely linking content to advertising, it is assumed that the viewer will be more likely to show an interest (i.e., through engagement) in the advertised product or service.
Social network advertising is a form of Online advertising that focuses on social networking sites. Advertising on social media networks can take the form of direct display ad buys at the social networks, self-serve advertising through internal ad networks, and ad serving on social network applications through special social network application advertising networks.
As is evident from these methods highlighted, the field of advertising has, and continues to evolve; reaching the masses in ways that were perceived to be unimaginable a decade ago. All thanks to huge developments and innovations in the field of technology, advertising is now present almost everywhere we go, in almost every form we can imagine. You still doubt this? Well just look around you!
If you are thinking of using any of the above advertising strategy to promote your product and services in Nigeria, we can help you identify your market and reach them. We can do same for you at very affordable price. Contact us today for your advertising campaign, good luck in your advertising campaign.